Friday, October 19, 2012

Tales From the Tank #25

As I sit here playing my gazillioth game of Bejeweled Blitz, and people are liking the post I just put on Facebook, I realize I haven't posted any new "Tales From the Tank".

To be philisophical, one could think my posts are about life within the five fish tanks we have, or it's about life within the "Tank" that keeps us warm and dry during the rain and cold weather....(ie: our house) LOL.

But little did you know that a year ago (during Christmas break)  Matt decided to buy a "spottled gecko" (two actually).  I tried to talk him out of it, I really did - but as a parent you know this just might be one of those "lessons"you have to let happen.

Afer break, Matt took my two new "grand-geckos" back to school with him.  This last spring I got a panicked phone call at work. "MOM! - I think there's an egg in the tank".  (oh wait - I forgot to tell you they live in a 10 gallon FISH tank).

Apparently it's just as difficult to "sex" geckos as it is fish - so you never really know what you're getting.  So I ask "How's it feel to be a parent".....? He replied, "I don't have time for this, I can't take care of three! What am I going to do?"

I told him, find the pet store in Oskaloosa, they'll take her or him (deciding which one you keep) in -and her/him a new home as an adoptable pet.  "Will they buy him"? he asked.  "No Matt, they can only buy from reputable pet breeders. You will just giving her/him up for adoption". 

"Well, what do I do with the egg"? he asked.  Being the ever-thoughtful Mom, I said "Flush it down the toilet. That's what we do with the dead fish". 

So when summer was over, and I went to Pella to move him from the rental house back to the dorms, he said, "With football camp starting, I need help with Loki (the name of the gecko). Can you bring him home and take care of him for a couple weeks"? 

Being the ever-thoughtful and considerate Mom I said "Sure".

So for the last few months, we've been taking care of our grand-gecko. Switching the daylight and nightlight, filling his water dish, cleaning up his poop (just like the dang dog), filling his water dish and giving him worms.  Geez....he eats a lot of worms for such a little guy.

I am thankful though...at least it's not diapers and formula. I think DHS would have a word or two with me if I kept a baby in a fish tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment