Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tales from the Tank #34

This is the story of Billy Joe and Bobby Sue....Opps...I mean semi-empty nesters with nothin better to do.....

It all began a few years ago in a concession stand at one of the local high schools.  We used to sell those giant dill pickles, you know the ones. One day the physical trainer caught me dumping out the pickle juice and said "Stop! Don't throw that out. We could use it for when student athletes cramp up". So we began supplying the athletic trainers with giant jars of pickle juice.

Seriously?

Apparently there have been many studies on the subject and until recently, I kinda had forgotten about the whole incident until I noticed our pickles slices in the fridge were getting kinda dried out.

Then low and behold I found out why. There in the kitchen was my husband Terry, drinking the pickle juice out of the jar.  "What are you doing!" I exclaimed.  "I had a leg cramp." he replied.  "So you just come to the fridge and drink the pickle juice", I asked. "Yep. If it works for athletes, it will work for me" he replied. "Why can't you just eat the pickles too?" was the next question.  "I'm not hungry", was his answer.

Go figure.

So, a couple weeks ago, yes....we started thinking about how to create pickle juice without the pickles. It's impossible. Oh you can create the brine - but the taste is pretty horrible (trust me). I threw that out.   So last weekend, while at our local grocery store, I bought the Mrs..somebody's dill pickle mix and some cucumbers.

How hard can it be right? I see people posting photos of stuff they've grown and canned. Last summer I  taught myself how to can salsa. Pickles had to be pretty easy.

I must say I am kinda proud of myself - I just followed the directions and am now the proud owner of five pint jars of pickles - and they don't taste half bad and the juice is actual pickle juice.


I'll let you try some, but you only get the pickle. I have to keep the juice for the dude that drinks it in the middle of the night.

Til later.....

No comments:

Post a Comment